SJ Echo column, September 2011

I have to admit that before Mac 2008, I had heard of 3C, but didn’t know what it was all about. And most people I met also may have heard of it, but did not really know where it is or what it is. 3C is short for Children’s Creativity Center (however, just last month is has had a name upgrade to Children and Community Creativity Center). It’s the colourful building with high walls that sits on a 5-acre piece of land along the NPE, after Sunway Pyramid before the Millennium Park.

Turns out, contrary to public opinion, the complex is decently utilized, and not abandoned or vacant. A number of organizations run various activities throughout the week. However, I acknowledge publicity of these has been lacking, and thus is it not surprising that community involvement has been rather low.

I have been recently appointed to the Board of 3C. This year we have made a big change. An active citizen in my zone spoke to me at the beginning of this year about 3C, and subsequently, at his suggestion, I brought up the idea of admitting members of the public into the 3C Board. Previously, it was only made up of MPSJ staff and councillors.

We are also moving towards setting up a website and Facebook page. This is to promote both the facilities in the complex as well as the activities. But we need more involvement from the public for this place to truly succeed; after all it is a community center. Do tell us, what activities would you like to see organized? Or what facilities would you like to see in the community center?

In the aspect of the children’s creativity center, I admit that 3C is doing very poorly at the moment. I’ve been reading up on children’s creativity centers overseas, to get ideas over the long Hari Raya holidays. I think we can start with jungle gyms, art and craft centers, and a toy library/center among other ideas. It would be great to hear from parents – what would you like? Let’s move together on this as a community.

A pledge on rubbish

It’s sad that the township of Subang Jaya is still littered with sofas, mattresses and other rubbish by the road sides and by the playing fields. It seems that all efforts to bring about a change in behaviour, including efforts by the paper have fallen on deaf ears.
I understand some complaint that because Alam Flora does not collect certain rubbish in front of your house, you resort to dragging that rubbish to a tree by the road corner.

I would like to publicly offer and challenge all residents of my JKP Zone 3 (USJ2-15). Place your rubbish (garden waste and domestic waste) outside your house for the regular Alam Flora collection. IF Alam Flora doesn’t collect it, call me (012-3111585, rajiv@mpsj.gov.my), and I will attend to it. If you are disposing bulky waste (mattress, cupboard, sofa, etc), please call 1800-880-880, and if Alam Flora doesn’t send over a lorry to pick it up, call me, and I will intervene.

I hope we can make progress on this; after all, it’s to our benefit, to live in a clean and beautiful environment.